Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Invisibility of Some Disabilities


Am I awful for envying those whose disabilities are visible? The sorts of folks represented in this picture are the only people who qualify for a seat on a bus in Bergen. I would have to stand. But then again, I would never board a public bus, let alone one so crowded that there were not even enough seats for all the passengers.

While others were jostling along viewing the delights of a beautiful city, I would be thankful to be safe at home, dealing as best I could with my invisible disability.

A thank you to Jill for sharing this photograph on flickr.

2 comments:

Putz said...

it has taken me all this time, clear to sunday today to cong,,,, you on your professional writing career....you will have a book out soon i am sure, write about sctizophrenia which is a sometimes invisable diseqse...people think i am lazy because i retired, but i have had daniel fighting to keep him here at home insteqd of elsewhere...i get so sad when he tells me he gets a lesson inchurch and want to to it but can't....what would that lesson be that he personally isn't going to be able to obey...mulitiple and relentish the earth by marrying in the tmple of god...he can't do that dallin

Donnell Allan said...

Hey, Brother Barlow--
It sounds like you, too, feel the stigma of carrying a burden which others don't recognize, that of caring for your son.
I won't be writing any books about mental illness because I don't have answers. It is just sad; no way around it.
My heart aches to hear about Daniel's sorrow at not being able to marry and support a family. I know that for you it hurts more to witness the suffering of your child than to go through hardships of your own, doesn't it?
I am grieving for you and for Daniel. I know just a little of what you are going through.
Thanks for helping me to laugh with your blogs. I know that you are a tremendous blessing to Daniel as well.