Sunday, June 14, 2009

Good Rain


I have long been aware of the scripture which teaches us that our "Father which is in Heaven . . . maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust."--Matthew 5:45

For a long time, I read this scripture thinking that his sun represented good things and rain represented bad. Where I live sunlight is a precious commodity, while a nearly-constant threat of rain keeps things rather gloomy.

I have grown to realize that both sun and rain are, of course, blessings.

Since I know that it is my Father who is making the sun to rise on me, and is also sending the rain, I think I would be wise to welcome both, whether I bake or shiver, am drenched or parched.

There is something to be said for basking a bit in sunshine.

There is something to be said, too, for keeping one's umbrella turned bowl-side up.



A thank you to ovizo0n for sharing this photo on flickr.

3 comments:

Putz said...

i don't like the rain this week...i went to the northeast to see my daughter and was stranded in atlanta because of rain which is an act of god and which the airlines will do nothing about...i have stopped blogging for now, love the putz

Putz said...

oh i know atlanta is not in the northeas, but that is where i landed anyway

Unknown said...

The rain has been a huge blessing for me this summer. IT's been freaky and unseasonal, but my garden has produced outrageously and I really needed that for my green-thumb aspirations.

I love the rain. Grew up the first 7 years of my life in washington state, and still feel comforted when those gray clouds roll in...