Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Characteristics of Introverts

I found this article today here and it described me so well (see below) that I wanted to share it. I feel strongly that pushing myself to act like an extrovert for many years contributed to my eventual meltdown. Mental illness is exacerbated by stress, and it is stressful to try too hard for too long to be what you are not.

Manhattan Snapshots 1974-1975 by dsorine.

"Here are 20 characteristics universal to introverts.

Introverts ...

1. love to read

2. have a few close, true friends

3. are excellent listeners

4. do not like to contribute in class

5. give people energy (extroverts take energy)

6. love to go to their room and close the door

7. may be exhausted by the social interaction required during a typical day at school

8. do not like group work

9. do not learn by repeating things out loud

10. like to connect the dots and insist on turning information in to knowledge

11. are very territorial

12. like to know about expectations well ahead of time

13. suffer from feelings of humiliation if they make a mistake in public

14. are intense

15. hate small talk

16. prefer to write rather than talk and especially don’t like talking on the phone

17. have a private and a public personality

18. say what they mean

19. prefer not to say anything unless it is significant

20. need time alone to recharge their batteries"


Do you see yourself in this list, too? If you are an extrovert, does this help you better understand someone you love?


A thank you to dsorine for sharing the photo at flickr.



7 comments:

Emily A. said...

That describes me perfectly. I'm a chip off the ol' block!

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this. I love you.

Donnell Allan said...

I love you, too, Jessica. (You, too, chip off the block.)

Putz said...

hey don't forget to love me tooooooo

Donnell Allan said...

I never forget you. I just go a long time without communicating sometimes, even with my favorite friends. (Just ask them.)

Unknown said...

All of the above except I have a hard time restraining myself from commenting in class. And I think that in my family and close friends I talk a LOT, like, clowning around-ish.

It's so good to know, though. So what's good about introverts, then? What strengths do we have? That would be the next question.

Donnell Allan said...

Same here, No Surf. When I am well, I am always commenting and I love a good discussion.

That's a good question. What do we (quietly) add to the world?