Friday, June 6, 2008

The Compassion of Strangers


Some months ago, in the midst of a deep depression, I watched the movie "The Slender Thread" (1965). It tells the true story of a Seattle woman who attempted suicide and was kept alive solely due to the compassion of strangers. As I watched, I wept to realize that, no matter who I am or what I have done, there will always be those who care what happens to me, who want me to live. In the movie, people all over the city were scrambling to save this woman's life. They knew nothing of her except that she was a fellow human being in despair, and that was enough for them to race to her rescue. I became acutely aware that my life is precious to many, simply because I am their fellow human being.

I was reminded of that lesson this morning as I read this very touching post by a blogger named Bryan. Prepare to be moved.

(Thank you to this photographer for the hands touching.)

No comments: