Friday, April 18, 2008

A Change in Meds

I had my visit with my psychiatrist yesterday, and shared my concerns. He listened well. I am now tapering off of one prescription (Atenolol, which may be behind my sluggishness and weight gain), switching anti-depressants (from Lexapro to Prozac) and upping the dosage on my mood stabilizer (Lamictal). I get to stay on the anti-anxiety medication (Ativan), as needed (which has been once-a-day for a while now).

I know this is a shockingly long list of drugs to many, as it would have been to me a few years ago. I remember hearing the term "cocktail of prescriptions" when I was diagnosed with AD/HD a few years back and saying to myself: "Not for me. Not ever!" I have so avoided using drugs of any kind over the years. (I gave birth six times without anesthetics for goodness sake.) But I have been ill for years and years, too, in spite of all my attempts with alternatives.

I believe in mental-health medications now. I believe in research. I trust my psychiatrist. And, although I am sure there area few quacks and charlatans out there, I believe that there are many, many good and caring people in the medical profession. I have certainly had multiple experiences with such people.

The currently available medications are not perfect. No one claims they are. I am confident that there are many improvements ahead in healing of all kinds. I believe that at this very moment God is inspiring researchers to help us overcome the maladies we now face. As for now, I feel very blessed to have the helps we do have. I intend to take full advantage of them.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Hope its a better change, Good luck. Have a great weekend

Joseph said...

I'm trying to pick up Celexa as a sponsor for being human, although their PR guy told me I'm of no use to them.