Thursday, April 24, 2008

Support

One of the highlights for me in this conversation was this comment by Dr. Kirk Dougher about the importance of support from family members and friends:

"To be able to have a resource to turn to; someone who is open and non-judgmental, who is willing to listen and try and understand without feeling a need of trying to give advice or solve the problem; someone who's really truly interested in helping the person and is willing to be with them through a number of different struggles can be a dramatic thing that helps turn the tide for people."

Much may be said about the self-centeredness of teenagers, but I have one in my life who has been touchingly generous with her time and compassion for me. I am also blessed in that the paragraph above exactly describes my visiting teacher. It describes my extraordinarily patient and long-suffering husband. And what I feel best about concerning the growth of each of my children is how they fit into the above description as well. I am blessed with tremendous support and I hope each of those who are a part of it will feel my heartfelt gratitude.

(And a thank you, too, to this photographer for the amazingly appropriate photo.)