Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Why File When You Can Pile?

This is not my desk, but it represents what my desk feels like. In this bout of illness I have managed to keep the bills paid (thank goodness for online bill paying), but I have not managed to file anything. My motto: Why file it when you can pile it? But I am not happy living with such chaos.

There is a glimmer of hope. I am beginning to imagine that I might someday (soon?) organize that pile.

Here's a tip that I heard somewhere, which I plan to try: file by month rather than by biller. Just throw everything received in May into a May file, June into a June. You can still find things, and it is much simpler than the other method. Sounds good to me.

P.S. This is pretty much what an AD/HD brain looks like. Lots of information, but a very inefficient retrieval system. At least, that has been my experience.

Thank you to this photographer for the picture.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

I just shred everything. Except of course tax returns or something important but I dont think utitlity bills or doctor bills or credit card bills need to be kept. Just junk. I feel like that picture is my house some days.

Emily A. said...

Excellent. I didn't notice any piles when I was at your place. Maybe I am immune. I just pile it all in one spot and once they get paid I write on them that they are paid. Then, I file them in a temporary place (in my cupboard) until I find time to throw them away (usually about once every 3 months. IT seems to work okay.

Oh and don't sweat passing me on your genetics. I like most of what I got. Its all good.